DO NOT expose your jewelry to a strong flame such as a blowtorch. Gold melts easily compared to other metals and you can damage your piece using anything stronger than a lighter.
Then, what happens when we burn gold?
It melts. “Burns” means “reacts with oxygen, producing heat”. Gold does not react with oxygen at all. It melts and looses form and shape.
Secondly, how can you test gold at home? Genuine gold will stand up to your attempt to conduct a nitric acid test at home. Make a tiny mark on the piece of gold to penetrate the surface. Drop a small amount of liquid nitric acid on that scratch and wait for a chemical reaction. Fake gold will immediately turn green where the acid is.
Secondly, does real gold turn black?
Jewelry made of pure gold doesn’t tarnish because it doesn’t corrode or oxidize, but gold pieces made with an alloy such as copper or silver may tarnish and turn black. Gold jewelry can also darken when it’s frequently exposed to soap, lotion and everyday grime.
How can you tell if jewelry is real gold?
Use a dropper to apply a small drop of nitric acid to the scratch. If there is no reaction, then the piece is probably made from real gold. You are most likely dealing with another metal or even a gold-plated item if you see green. Gold-over-sterling will leave a milky substance when nitric acid is applied.