What are smart devices?
Appliances that you can operate from anywhere are known as smart devices. They are electronic
gadgets that are able to connect, share and interact with their users and other smart devices.
Common components of smart devices are:
- A hardware layer that includes a radio, which transmits signals.
- A network layer through which devices communicate with one another.
- An application layer through which end users deliver commands.
What is a smart home?
A home with internet-connected gadgets that allow for remote monitoring and control of
appliances and systems like lighting and heating is called a smart home. Smart home technology,
also known as home automation, allows homeowners to control smart devices via a smart home
app on their smartphone or other networked equipment. Smart home systems and devices, which
are part of the internet of things (IoT), work in synergy to provide security, comfort,
convenience, and energy efficiency to homeowners.
Enjoy the freedom of wirefree smart shading, powered by Somfy! Somfy’s wirefree solutions work with all types of window coverings and are easy to install, discrete solutions. Enjoy the freedom to create a more comfortable home. Enjoy the freedom to relax, when you can easily manage your natural light with voice and app control. Enjoy the freedom to connect, when you can connect to other smart home systems and brands. Get free and go wirefree with Somfy.
What are some examples of smart devices?
From washing dishes to dressing windows, smart technology has entered every aspect of the
• Smart TV: A smart TV is an LED television that has an internet connection. It has built
in Wi-Fi and ethernet ports, and can link to a variety of portable devices. Things such as
surfing the web and checking the social media that you do using your smartphone or
laptop can be done on the TV. At the touch of a button, you can access YouTube or
recorded TV episodes. What’s more, some smart TVs also include voice or gesture
• Smart Thermostats: With these devices, you can remotely control your home’s
temperature. Smart thermostats also have the ability to learn the home occupants’
behavior and automatically modify temperature settings to provide them maximum
comfort. They keep a tab on energy usage and help homeowners achieve energy
• Security Devices: Want to monitor your home when you are away? Install smart security
cameras. If any suspicious movement of people is detected outside your house, smart
motion sensors can alert the authorities. You can use smart locks and garage dooropeners to grant or deny access to visitors.
• Taking Care of Plants and Pets: Too busy with your work and find it difficult to water
your plants regularly? There are smart solutions to address this concern. Connected
timers can help you schedule watering your lawns and plants. You can also automate pet
care with connected feeders.
• Household Appliances: Smart kitchen appliances make your chores a lot easier by
helping you schedule and monitor work with the help of cutting-edge technology. You
can program your smart coffee maker to brew you a fresh cup at a scheduled time every
day. You can use your smart refrigerator not only to keep your food fresh but also to keep
track of expiry dates or prepare a list of vegetables you need to order. Similarly, smart
cookers, washing machines, dish washers and mixer grinders come handy to manage your
• Smart Lighting: Smart lighting systems can be operated remotely and tailored to adjust
their brightness dependent on daylight availability. They can also detect whether there are
people in the room and alter the illumination accordingly. Motion sensing lights respond
to activity in your room. When you walk into a room, the light turns on, and when you
walk out, it switches off on its own.
• Smart Shades: Window coverings with built-in motors, such as smart shades or blinds, can
be controlled via a smartphone app or voice commands.
Are smart shades worth the cost?
Given their high cost, smart shades appear to be a luxury, but they are certainly worth the
investment for the reasons below:
• The automated settings step up the security of the house. When you are out of town,
smart shades can be lowered or raised to create an impression that someone is at home.
• The materials used for smart shades are eco-friendly and they do not fade easily. They are
oil proof and water proof. They can be cleaned easily with a duster or vacuum cleaner.
• Since motorized shades are cordless, they are not hazardous for kids and pets.
• The automated feature is especially helpful for elderly people and people with
• Smart window coverings assist in saving money on energy bills by limiting sunlight
during summer to keep the room from overheating and letting in light to heat the space in